RAPproject.tv is an Urban Entertainment Network based in Toronto, Canada. Enjoy the channel!

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Rap Project politics


It certainly was no surprise to have the rap artists that appeared in the Rap Project documentary in attendance at the ReelWorld Film Festival premiere. But I was surprised when a local politician, City Councillor Michael Thompson said we would come. You see, I interviewed (or should I say ambushed) a few prominent politicians for their opinions on the rap-violence debate. I figured politicians would have no trouble implying (or just outright saying) that rap music does have some direct influence on the gun crime. Sure enough, they didn't disappoint. When city councillor Michael Thompson last year suggest randomly targeting young blacks for gun searches, it set off a firestorm of criticism against him. I figured that this story point should work its way in my doc. One could say the Councillor Thompson doesn't necessarily come off too good in my doc (at least too an audience of rap artists and fans.) So while I thought it was cool that Councillor Thompson would attend the premiere. I have to admit I was a bit nervous how he would react to his scene. In the end, Councillor Thompson was really cool and liked the doc and congratulated me several times (I think a few parts even enlightned him.) When I asked him how he felt about how I edited him -- he reminded me that he was an elected public official and completely understood that he too can be a media target. I got to give big props to Councillor Thompson for attending the premiere (two other politicians not only didn't attend, they didn't even write me back.) As I have come to know Councillor Thompson better and see what he has been doing to understand the gun problem in Toronto (including being a key figure in bringing Rev. Rivers to Toronto) I am beginning to believe he may be one of the better guys in elected office.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I completely agree on that.

There's way too many suckers out there that can't understand.

In fact, I was arguing with my best friend octavious yesterday about this, and
they wouldn't agree with me that he was wrong. Now I can just show them your blog :)

7:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home